Register FAQ | Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited

Register FAQ

Domain Name Registration FAQ

1. How can I register a .hk or .香港 Domain Name?

Registrars accredited by HKIRC can help you register .hk / .香港 domain names. Some of them may offer other services as well like web-hosting, email service, website design, etc. You may wish to select the registrar that best suits your needs. Please visit here for more information.

2. Is there any eligibility requirement for registering .hk or .香港 domain names?

Yes. Different categories of .hk / .香港 domain name have different eligibility requirements. Please click here for more information.

3. Are there any names not available for registration?

There are names restricted for registration due to a number of reasons, for instance, as a measure to minimise confusion and dispute or that the names have controlled usage stipulated by law. Please click here for more information.

4. What are the differences among a domain name registry, a domain name registrar and a domain name reseller?

A domain name registry is the party responsible for the administration of a dedicated top level domain name. For .hk and .香港 top level domain name, Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Limited (HKIRC) is the domain name registry. A domain name registrar provides registration service to the domain name holder. Domain name holders enter into the domain name registration agreement with the domain name registrar. A domain name reseller is the agent registering the domain name on behalf of the domain holder with any one of the registrars.

5. Can I contact HKIRC for help if I have difficulty dealing with my registrar?

Yes. A domain name holder can contact us for assistance if he/she does not get a satisfactory response from the registrar. However, it is advisable for domain name holders to try resolving the matter directly with the registrar first if the issue is related to commercial terms between the holders and the registrar.

6. What shall I do if I want to select another registrar to manage my domain name?

If you want to let another registrar manage your domain name, you will have to provide a specific code (we call it Authorisation Code) to the new registrar. This code is important for HKIRC (the registry) to verify that you have authorised a new registrar to manage your domain and that the new registrar selected can access to your registration and contact information. In normal situation, your existing or new registrar can help requesting the sending of the code to your email address. If they do not do so, you can get the code by visiting our website here.

7. How long will your information be kept for?

The information you provide to us will be retained for as long as it remains necessary for one or more of the purposes for which it was collected. All personal information provided will be processed in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.

Domain Name Dispute FAQ

1. How can I raise a domain name dispute?

Before considering disputing a specific .hk or .香港 domain, please read the Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and its Rules of Procedure. If you decide to raise a dispute through arbitration proceedings, please contact the appointed dispute resolution service provider. At present, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) is the only dispute resolution service provider for domains ended with .hk and .香港. Please refer to their Domain Name Supplemental Rules and their website for details and contact information. HKIRC and its accredited registrars do not, and will not, participate in the administration of or conduct any proceeding before an Arbitration Panel. In addition, HKIRC and its accredited registrars will not be liable as a result of any decisions rendered by an Arbitration Panel.

2. Is there any fee involve

You can refer to the website of the dispute resolution service provider for their fee schedule. At present, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) is the only dispute resolution service provider for domains ended with .hk and .香港. Please refer to their website for details.

3. How do I know if there is a dispute filed for the domain name I am holding?

When a domain name dispute is filed at the dispute resolution service provider, the provider shall contact the domain name holder and requested the holder to submit a response by a specific date. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the contact information you provided is updated.