.hk LOCK is a registry lock service that protects your .hk / .香港 domain names from unauthorised seizure by cyber criminals, a malicious online activity commonly called “domain hijacking”. By hijacking your domain names, the criminals can divert Internet traffic meant for your websites and services to other destinations controlled by them, doing substantial and irreversible harm to your business and reputation.
What is at stake?
A number of internationally renowned domain names have been victims of domain hijacking recently. The damages to you could include:
- Website defacement: your customers and visitors could lose confidence in your organisation; damage to your reputation could also be widely publicised.
- Loss of revenue / disruption to operations: if your website is your major sales channel or service portal, revenue loss and service disruption are inevitable during the hijacking.
- Leakage of confidential information: email traffic could be diverted and stolen by cyber criminals; confidential correspondences would be compromised.
Benefits of using .hk LOCK:
- An extra, separate, layer of protection of your .hk / .香港 domain names beyond your registrar / ISP; similar to the 2-step verification process commonly employed by Internet banking.
- Lowering of security risks – even if all of your domain name credentials are accidentally compromised, .hk LOCK will be the final gatekeeper of your .hk / .香港 domain names against unauthorised modifications.
- Peace of mind for your online brand security – using .hk LOCK is like having two locks on the main door. Most households nowadays have more than one lock on the main door for adequate protection.
- Offline “key” for “unlocking” – when you need to “unlock” your domain names for modification, the verification process will be conducted offline. HKIRC will manually check the “key” on phone with the authorised persons upon an “unlocking” request. This closes the loophole of possible compromise of online communications (by means of stolen passwords, fake email addresses, IP, etc.).
.hk LOCK will “lock” your domain names against any changes of name server information. The prohibition is at the “registry side”, that is, at HKIRC’s system. Your registrar of .hk / .香港 domain names will appoint authorised persons, who can request an “unlocking” of the modification functions at HKIRC when necessary. HKIRC will only unlock the domain names for a short interval after a thorough and rigorous offline verification process with the authorised persons. These measures, and the underlining security policy framework, will ensure your .hk / .香港 domain names are protected with the highest security standard of the industry.
Who should use .hk LOCK?
- Banks and financial institutions, governmental departments, utilities and public services;
- Owners of brand and trademark domain names;
- Online shops, online service providers;
- Anybody who communicates and transacts confidentially with their clients online regularly via their own domain names;
- Any domain names receiving high traffic volumes;
- Any websites handling sensitive and confidential information.
How can I subscribe to .hk LOCK?
Please contact your registrar for details. Currently, the below HKIRC Accredited Registrars are providing .hk LOCK to their customers.
If you have further questions regarding the service, please contact us on +852 2319 2303 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.